Slightly off the beaten track, 15 kms from Pokolbin, Broke wine area, Hunter Valley is one of the best kept secrets in the region.
Set against a dramatic backdrop of the Broken Back Range and Yellow Rock escarpment the stunning Broke wine area provides a relaxing vineyard experience.
Producing exceptional wines Broke has created a reputation for some of the best boutique wineries and wonderful fine dining in the Hunter region.
So, it’s not surprising to hear that high on our list is combining some wine tasting at one of the many cellar doors with a yummy cheese platter. Then sit back and enjoy the sunset views over the vineyards and foothills of the spectacular Broken Back Range and Yellow Rock escarpment.
Wine Tasting Venues in Broke
Here are our favourite wine tasting cellar door venues in the Broke wine area, Hunter Valley (be sure to book):
- Krinklewood Vineyard
- Whispering Brook
- Tinonee Vineyard Estate
- Greenway Wines
- Or organise a Wine Tour in Broke
Restaurants in Broke Wine Area, Hunter Valley
If you’re looking for a long lunch or to kick on into the evening for a dinner experience here are some suggestions:
- Margan Restaurant – Perhaps a long lunch or a ‘Twilight Margan Experience’
- Mount Broke Wines Restaurant – A great lunch venue, reasonably priced with amazing views
- Whispering Brook – Be sure to book ahead for the ‘Long Table Lunch’
- Nightingale Restaurant – Highly recommended by the local folk
Other Things to Do in Broke, Hunter Valley
Broke is also known for its olive trees, alpaca farms, many events and more which have now all become features of the area.
So, if you’d like to do more than just wine tasting here are a few suggestions:
- Taste delicious fresh olives and olive oil at Olives from Broke, Belarna Grove and Woodlands Olive Grove
- Experience a cooking class at Margan Cooking School
- Shop for natural products and gifts at Bare Nature’skin
- Feed the Alpacas at Starline Alpacas Resort
- Hit the Trails at Chapman Valley Horse Riding
- Visit Yengo National Park and walk the trails while taking in the spectacular views and immersing yourself in Aboriginal culture
Attend one of the many fun events* around Broke area:
- Broke Village Community Market – 1st Sunday of the Month at McTaggart Park
- Grape Elbow Harvest Lunch – Last weekend in March at Ascella Organic Wines
- Margan White Label release – in May at Margan Wines
- Bulga Beats – in May at Bulga
- A Little Bit of Italy – in the month of May around the Broke area
- Smoke in Broke – June Long Weekend in Broke
- Olive Long Table Lunch – June at Whispering Brook
- French Car Club Day – in August at Nightingale Wines
- Broke Village Fair & Vintage Cars – 2nd Sunday in September at McNamara Park
- Jazz at Catherine Vale – October Long Weekend at Catherine Vale Wines
*Please note some events maybe affected due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Where to Stay in Broke
Whilst there are many places to stay, we can’t go past the beautiful Binbilla Vineyard Estate.
Nestled at the base of a mountain in the village of Broke, Binbilla is a private, 100 acre vineyard estate of grand proportions in the Hunter Valley.
The elegantly designed and beautifully appointed estate provides luxury accommodation for large groups of up to 10 guests.
Beautifully furnished verandas wrap the home. It’s here you’ll enjoy sitting back and taking in the endless views across to the vineyard, lake and distant mountains beyond and no doubt with a glass of wine in hand!
Book your stay now at Binbilla Vineyard Estate.
If you like vineyards, wine and food check out our Orange blog too.